What to look for in a new window
It is unrealistic to assume that buying a window is a straightforward process and all windows offered in the market are pretty much the same.
There is an awful lot more to choosing a window than what you might perceive. The modern u-PVC window has been in development now for over 40 years, during which time a great deal of effort has gone into creating something that not only looks great but also performs to the highest environmental standards now expected by the EU and UK Governmental regulations.
It can be surprising how different everybody’s needs, tastes and requirements are and there are a number of key elements that should go into making sure a window is right for you. We believe that in helping you understand the more technical things, we can help you make the right decisions, leading you to windows that will help keep you safer, warmer and happier for many years to come.
To help you decide on what you need to consider when buying a window for your home, we have made a list of elements you need to take into account in order to have a good, worthwhile and value for money windows for your home.
New window requirements
A window should ideally offer the following benefits:
Be easy to maintain and clean – it is important to find out whether the window you are buying is made of a quality that can be cleaned easily and not covered in grime and discoloured, hence, the quality of u-PVC, aluminium or wood frame section is important from that aspect.
- Are the frame sections bulky and flimsy or aesthetically slim and robust – in order to let in a good amount of light, you need to maximise the glass area. There is a spectrum of good quality, robust and slim-line frame section to a fragile and thick frame section in the market that you can choose from. Obviously, the thickness of frame section has an impact on aesthetic of your windows and the level of light let in.
- Does the window have a normal and ordinary locking mechanism or has a superior locking mechanism with high quality security system that can leave any intruder disappointed outside your house. Nowadays, almost all windows are Secured by Design, but Secured by Design wouldn’t be enough to keep you, your family and precious belongings safe from forced entry.
- Is the window energy efficient – there are a number of qualities of glass and frame sections in the market that offer you different level of thermal efficiency. An energy efficient window can save you a lot on heating bills in long-run. Also, it would help reduce condensation.
- There are other elements that you need to take into account when buying a window, but above all, you need to make sure you will have genuine long lasting guarantees that cover your windows. After all we need to remember that cheap doors and windows come with cheap quality, and cheap quality cannot be durable and last long.
Window designs we offer
At Imagine Home Improvement, we can help you with the following window designs and materials:
- U-PVC Casement windows
- U-PVC Sash windows
- Victorian sash window
- Edwardian Sash window
- U-PVC Bay window
- U-PVC Bow window
- U-PVC Tilt & Turn window
- U-PVC Residence 9 window
- Timber casement window
- Timber sash window
- Victorian timer sash window
- Edwardian timber sash window
- Timber Tilt & Turn window
- Timber Bay window
- Timber Bow window
- Aluminium casement window
- Aluminium Tilt & Turn window
- Aluminium Bay window
- Aluminium Bow window